Working sustainably is a core value embedded at every level of Woodside's business. It is fundamental to maintaining our social licence to operate and to being a global leader in upstream oil and gas.
We are focused on delivering energy solutions that provide sustainable value for shareholders, partners and the communities in which we operate.
Sustainable Development Report 2017 communicates non-financial disclosures relating to environment, social and governance performance and our approach to managing related key issues. Our 2017 Report also introduces our approach to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Goals our Sustainability Committee endorsed and highlights some of the ways in which we contribute towards all 17.
We also value the views of our stakeholders and, through this Report, we have sought to better understand and respond to the material issues that concern them.
Some of our performance highlights in this year's Report include:
· Improved our personal safety performance – demonstrated by 21% decrease in total recordable injury rate.
· No tier 1 or 2 process safety events.
· Introduced a Board approved Human Rights Policy.
· Launched our first LNG-fuelled marine support vessel.
· Exceeded our targets for Indigenous employment and business contracts.
· Awarded Silver Class distinction for second consecutive year and ranked in the top 3% of our Dow Jones Sustainability index sector.
· Received the Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association Safety and Environment Excellence Awards.
· Awarded World Petroleum Council Excellence Award for STEM outreach program.
We recognise the vital role strategic partnerships have in assisting the communities in which we operate to be more sustainable.
We are proud to partner with a wide variety of organisations and support programs that contribute to a more innovative, inclusive and resilient community and environment. During 2017, Woodside reviewed the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), identifying five goals to which Woodside can make a meaningful contribution and align closely with our own values. SDG 17 Partnerships for the Goals is one of our key goals and emphasises the importance of collaboration. We have an extensive range of partnerships that are highlighted on page 60 of the 2017 Sustainable Development Report. Further information can be found in the who we support section on Canvas.
To see how we performed across our five sustainability principles, and how we are contributing to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, download a copy of our 2017 Sustainable Development Report from